I’m just going to go ahead and buy this mug now so my kids can give it to me when they’re in middle school.
Am I overconfident? I don’t think so.
You see, I envision the day when my kids are browsing the internet for ammo to use against schoolyard bullies … and they come across all the tweets and Facebook updates from the parents of those kids.
And my kids will run to me, wrap their little arms around me, and smother me with kisses … all because I was a kind parent and decided not to write about any of their efforts at potty training.
As any parent — and many a babysitter — knows, potty training is pure comedy gold. Parents and kids say and do a lot of very strange and hilarious things in order to get potty training started and to keep it going.
But my wife and I have had a policy in place that ensures neither of us will capitalize on the comedic stylings of potty training efforts in our household: There can be no blog posts, no tweets, and no Facebook updates about potty training.
For we know that the short term laughter and even good will of a well-placed potty training anecdote can never be worth the long term horror of a child who grows up to find that his or her potty training has been a subject of discussion for many hundreds (or even thousands) of people … and then preserved online forever.
And so, when I read about the bizarre thing someone’s adorable child said as she happily sat on the potty and I know that my own anecdotes would surely win me hordes of Twitter followers, I just sit back and think how good my coffee’s going to taste in my new mug.
- blamepeas reblogged this from girlwithalessonplan
- tofias said: Drink fast! Smug gets bitter as it cools.
- spicetiger likes this
- hufflepuffyourhousedown likes this
- aaygeecee likes this
- spookymurph likes this
- hoipoll0i reblogged this from icanifitry
- icanifitry reblogged this from girlwithalessonplan
- politicalprof likes this
- thehedrick likes this
- sfcamp likes this
- missmisc3 likes this
- marysdottir likes this
- generationgapchild likes this
- konobuta likes this
- eddiefoxx likes this
- learn-to-fall-before-you-can-fly likes this
- tiffanymariiie reblogged this from girlwithalessonplan
- tiffanymariiie likes this
- geofaultline likes this
- ireneselina likes this
- wwnorton likes this
- supertrampcodenumber3point14 likes this
- a440hautbois likes this
- recycledsoul likes this
- sassyhispanicbitch likes this
- lovessweeterthanfiction likes this
- teenytinytimes likes this
- imall4frogs likes this
- trebaolofarabia likes this
- kingunderthecarpark likes this
- rugbyslut likes this
- squarizona likes this
- elledeau said: but when they’re all ‘grown up’ and you’re putting together your memoir….
- christinamused likes this
- sayakamado likes this
- girlwithalessonplan reblogged this from kohenari and added:
- political-linguaphile likes this
- ontrenholmdrive reblogged this from kohenari
- kohenari posted this